Friday, July 25, 2008

Fun In The Mud

This past weekend I got together with some friends, and we played in a mud volleyball tournament. I started playing in college with a friend, then continued on with another friend who's company sponsored teams, and for the last four years I have been the "team organizer". (Most of you know that I love to organize events, parties, etc. so this is right up my alley)!
Now while it is for charity (at $300 a team), don't be fooled. It's just one giant PARTY!! It takes place at the Cuyahoga County Airport, and well over 1,000 people go. People come from all over- the team set up next to us this year had come in from MI and camped out the night before. You couldn't pay me to sleep anywhere near this mud pit, but I guess some consider it a good time. Some teams come in theme, but we just opted to go for the old clothes we didn't care about. And new clothes from KMart if need be! You have to duct tape your shoes to your feet, or else they get stuck in the mud and come off. This is the first year I saw bright colored tape! I guess they sell it at Wal Mart. Which means I'll never buy it.


Anyway, as you will see from the pics, it is a fun and dirty day! Our first game was at 10:20, which is the latest we have ever started. By the time we got there at 9:45, the radio station was blasting music through the event, the beer tents had long lines, and people were already eating burgers and dogs.
Our team was named "A Few Too Many", for the obvious reason, but also because we had a few too many players this year. Three of us had to sit out every game. I decided to sit out four out of five on the sidelines and make sure everyone was nicely hydrated!! I also stink at playing, so what's the point?!

The only injury this year was Darrel- his back was a little torn up after a fall in the mud (there are rocks underneath). Two years ago my friend Casey had to go to the hospital by 9am, so I thought we did pretty good this year!

We lost every game. All five. But we had a great time, and can't wait to continue on with our annual event next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment