Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Not So New Every Two

After two and a half YEARS of having the same phone, I went to Verizon today for the scary switch. I had an old school BlackBerry, so I figured my best bet would be the new Pearl. Pretty much the same thing, right? Not really.

I knew about the "new every two" deal they have, so I figured it would pretty much just be an even trade. I would go in, get a new one, and that would be that. Once again, not really. After waiting for a half hour for someone to call my name (they do this fancy thing now where you use a computer to sign in when you go in the door and they put your name up on a screen so you know how many people are in front of you), I got a girl who let me know she had a stomach ache, and did I want silver, or pink? Pink of course.

Well I guess my company only had me on a one year plan, so I didn't really qualify for the new every two price, because it was not a two year contract. (What? I've had the old phone for over two years). And now with the BlackBerry, you have to buy a little SIM card because it does not have enough memory for pics and internet and contacts. That's just dumb. It's brand new- you would think they would know how much memory to put in it! Just another way to make you spend another $30. And now with the BlackBerry, you have to sign up for an internet plan, or they will not turn it on for you. Another $30. A month.

I literally argued (nicely) over the total she kept coming up with, saying, "there's just no way". Because they told me I would get this super cheap price when I walked in the door because it had been over two years.

So I take it home, open it all up, and go to put the SIM card in. Which I don't even understand. The stomach ache lady told me it was by the battery. I wound up with tears in my eyes when I could not figure it out, just thinking about going back there. But that's what I did. Back to Verizon, so they could show me where to put it. Turns out it was super easy, just not where I was looking.

There are so many more buttons and things on this one... I'm not sure about this! I had the internet and email turned off on my last one, but LOVED how easy it is to sync up to my address book and calendar on my Outlook email. I already figured out how to do that, so that's a step in the right direction.

So my free phone was $217 with a $70 rebate I have to send in. Needless to say, it's a company phone, but I hate spending money on dumb things, even when it's not mine!!

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be crusin' around my new BlackBerry with no problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment