Saturday, July 5, 2008

Giving At All Away

I decided that today was clean out the closet(s) day. (I have four). Knowing that I am moving in about a month has really motivated me to organize life a bit more. Yesterday I went through linen closets.

It's SO SAD to get rid of clothes and shoes! It's so hard, because you remember what things cost when you bought them, and it's like you are flushing money down the toilet. I can't imagine having kids and having to do this every season. I see why mom's only shop at Target and Old Navy! Last year I gave away about 7 or 8 bags. But I kept stuff that I might fit into again one day. I packed on the lb's last year and have shed some of it off, so I'm happy I didn't get rid of all of it last time around.

I just spent about an hour trying on every pair of pants and every skirt I own. Kinda sad, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that a few things fit, but others... I mean, come on. When the heck did I ever fit into size 2 pants from Guess?! Apparently within the last five years or so. I must have looked damn good. :) And I am giving so many shirts away. As my sister would say, they are too short. People are just wearing them longer now than a few years ago. And with the jeans being so low cut, if I were to wear them, it would be a nice crack show to everyone I sit down near.

I have decided to try and take the good stuff to a second hand store and see if they will give me any cash for it. Like my stuff from J. Crew, Banana, Nordstrom, etc. So I have a summer bag, and a winter bag for them. (I figure I'll hold on to the winter bag until Fall comes). Then I have a "no way will anyone pay for this crap" bag with Old Navy, and older stuff that is just not really in style anymore. Then, I have a mental list of items for eBay. Stuff that was expensive, and I feel someone might pay for. Even if I get $10 for a pair of jeans, it's better than giving them away just because my butt does not fit into them anymore, you know? And, I'm going to try and sell my bridesmaid dresses as well. Even though I love my married friends to death, I will never, ever, wear them again. Probably can't even zip them up ever again. Ha!

2 comments:

  1. OH, i can SO relate! :) I am proud of you for doing it...my stuff just sits in my closet forever without wear because i am afraid to get rid of it, "just in case" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are still keeping a blog. I find that the blogging lifestyle is very relaxing and enjoyable. You should try taking your "designer" clothes to certain thrift stores that cater to that. We have one in Louisville called "Plato's Closet". Miss you so much... thinking about the fun times we had makes me think for a minute i will tour again one day.

    ReplyDelete