Sunday, August 22, 2010

Springfield, IL


The Illinois State Fair is something else, let me tell you. I have only been to our little county fairs here in Ohio. This was bigger. Way bigger.

A few people in Kevin's family provide food services for fairs, so we went to go visit them. It was actually really interesting to see how the "back end" of the fair works. I always love seeing the behind the scenes side of anything.

I ate enough fried food for a year.

We spent about 10 hours there on Sunday, and it was H-O-T. I was fine in the shade, but once the sun hit I was like the Wicked Witch of the West. Melting. I was probably better off though because it made me not want to eat as much.

The best half hour of that day was when Kevin and I decided to visit the beer tent where they had a band playing. The people dancing were the best entertainment ever! I swear, one woman had on my Easter dress from 1992 with black ankle boots, and another dude had sweatbands on his wrists as part of his dancing ensemble. It was great.

As much fun as I had hanging out with people, I must say that I actually prefer our little county fair to the state fair. I was hoping for baking contests and flower arrangements, but it was so much bigger than that. These people are serious about their cows and sheep!

We were going to try and drive back to Cleveland that night, but we only made it as far as Indiana. We stayed in a beautiful Days Inn for the night before we headed back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment