Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nashville, TN

Last week we were in Nashville (or NashVegas, as many call it). I just love it there.


We arrived in Monday, and had the night off. I was going to go to Morton's for dinner because it was literally right around the corner, but then I heard about the Stock Yard, a famous steakhouse. They had a shuttle that would come to the hotel to pick us up, so I wound up there for the night. They had nine pound lobsters! It was definitely better than going to a chain.


I'm not going to lie- I spent a fair amount of time in the bars on the strip in Nashville last week. There are just SO many, and they all have live music, every night. I actually went out during the week, and skipped Friday and Saturday night down there, assuming it was going to be packed. And I heard that it was. We were actually staying right next to the beautiful Hermitage Hotel, and they had a really nice, beautiful oak room bar that was a nice quiet substitute for the honky tonks. But it was stupid expensive.

The best part about Nashville was that Poppy and Heidi came to visit me for two days. They were on their way down to Florida, so they timed it so that they would hit Nashville when I was there. It was a great excuse to be a tourist for a few days.


We drove out to the Hermitage on Wednesday afternoon (Andrew Jackson's home). I was pretty excited to see it, despite the rain. We get out there, and there's a big sign on the gate that says "CLOSED". But the gate was open, so we assumed it was wrong. Nope. Closed for renovations. I felt like we were at Wally World. So we drove to the Opry Land hotel instead to walk around there and maybe have an afternoon cocktail. Guess what? All of the bars in Opry Land were closed, except a stupid Irish pub. The only that that wasn't closed that day was Monell's (below). It was a restaurant in Germantown that I read about and really wanted to check out. You sit down family-style with people you don't know, and food is just brought out to your table to pass around. No menu- you just eat what they give you. It was awesome- all comfort food, and like 15 different things. I think I ate macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes for about four days straight in Nashville. Anyway, I would definitely recommend Monell's.


Thursday, we met my cousin Allison at a diner in the middle of no where called Loveless Cafe. I guess it's one of those places you have to check out if you are there. Once again- comfort food. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. It was great to catch up with her.
After lunch, Poppy, Heidi and I went to visit Belle Meade, and old plantation outside of Nashville. And it was open.
The weekend was pretty low-key. I was re-watching season five of LOST so that my memory is fresh when it starts on Tuesday. I am so pumped about this, you have no idea.


And I of course had to add this one last photo from Nashville- cracked me up!



2 comments:

  1. Shannon, you don't know me, but I am a friend of Rachel's and I have been checked in on your blog from time to time for her page. I live in Nashville and although I saw the commercials for the show being in town, never put the 2 together. I actually thought of taking my daughter (she is almost 3-just a few months older than Tanner). If I would have remembered that you were here, I would have put together a list of must sees for you. We actually live just past Hermitage! Looks like you had a good time and you hit up some great places. Did you have the famous biscuits from Loveless? You just missed the blizzard of 2010 here. Nashville has around 7 inches of snow. The most I have ever witnessed since I've lived here. Of course, being from Michigan, it isn't a huge deal to me, but the city pretty much shuts down. Hope you enjoyed your trip to NashVegas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I had a great time there- always do! You ive in a wonderful city.

    ReplyDelete