Saturday, March 28, 2009

Washington DC

This post is a bit overdue, but LAST week, we spent the entire week in Washington! This was the fist time we have been in one place for a week since we were in Tucson for New Years. That's just crazy.


When I got the tour schedule last year, I noticed that my mom's birthday fell during this week. I told her cousin's Jim and Carol that I was going to try to convince her and my aunt Susan to come visit for a few days- and they did!


The first few days we were there, Darrel and I spent some time sightseeing. This also means shopping, in my world. In between working, we were able to see the Botanical Gardens, Air and Space Museum, Museum of American Indians, and the Library of Congress. We also walked the whole mall and saw the White House, Washington, Monument, etc. He was able to see a lot more than I was, but I was pretty happy with how much ground I covered. I LOVED the Botanical Gardens, and the Library of Congress was one of my favorites buildings in America. I had no idea what it would look like inside- it was like being in Europe! I had a strong urge to go there after going to Monticello a few weeks ago and visiting Jefferson's house- thousands of his original books from the 1700's and 1800's are in the building, and it's just awesome.



While the sightseeing was great, the best thing about the week was spending time with my extended family, who we really never see except at weddings here and there. They were SO generous! I felt like Carol was my personal driver for the week, going back and forth from her house to our hotel! Below are some pics of everyone, enjoying my mom's (belated) birthday.




Oh... and Georgetown! Wow. Went there four times for lunch, dinner, walking around, and shopping. The bus took me there for $1.00. Not bad! Darrel and I found some really great, old places to eat. And they have every store a girl could dream of! I was good though- I really only bought my mom a gift.


It was a nice, fun week, and it made me want to be able to see the Washington family more often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment