Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My First 5K

2013 has been a great year for me so far, both physically as well as mentally. Bethanne and I started exercising early in the year, and we have both come a long way from where we used to be. I had a Groupon for some group fitness classes in the basement of a church down the street, and I became hooked! It's the ONLY thing I have ever done fitness-wise that I have stuck with (minus a few injuries setting me back). The two girls that run it are like drill sergeants and it works.

Exercising has also brought about a healthier lifestyle in general. I have primarily gone organic at home and eat much healthier than I used to. It's hard to eat a burger and fries at lunch and then go to a class at 6pm. So now I opt for salads and fruit. Without intending for it to happen, weight started to come off, and I became much more energetic than ever before.

For the last few years, I have participated in the Most Excellent Race for the Achievement Centers for Children. In the past I simply signed up for the family fun walk, and strolled my way through it. I remember two years ago my mom wanted Bethanne and I to run to a corner about 1/16 a mile up the street when we were on the walk, and I thought I was going to die! Well this year was quite a different story. Matt, Bethanne and I decided to run the 5K. I'm still not much of a runner and the longest distance I had done up to that day was 2 miles. A 5K is 3.2 miles. I was kind of doubting myself, but the three of us stuck together (with iPods on) and helped push each other to cross the finish line in 31.32 minutes! I didn't stop once and I was SO PROUD of us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment