Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Majestic Summer

This summer my company had a lot going on in the community, and I got involved in a few things outside of the office.  It is important to me to get out there and do things with the people that I work around.  On top of the fact that it's just plain fun, I also don't spend a lot of time with people at the office during the actual work week so getting to know them and their families is something I make an effort to do.

As you will see in this post, I am still volunteering through work for the Achievement Centers for Children here in Cleveland.  It's such a wonderful organization.  I have worked with them a few times outside of work sponsored events as well.  This year Majestic was the third highest fund raising team in Cleveland for The Most Excellent Race.  100% of the proceeds from this day go towards a special camp that the kids go to in the summer called Camp Cheerful.  Then later in the summer, some of us met the kids again at Progressive Field where the Cleveland Indians play to spend some time with them.  They are able to throw balls on the field, hit balls, run bases, eat hot dogs, meet Slider.... so cute!

Majestic also participates in the Cleveland Corporate Challenge.  There is a list of events each company competes in, and this year I did skeeball and kickball.  I was convinced I was going to rock skeeball because I used to get tons of tickets at Chuck E Cheese, but that just didn't happen.  We came in dead last!  We blamed it on my coworker being pregnant and not being able to get the ball around her belly.  There were also other companies who had people there who were on leagues.  I mean, come on.  Kickball on the other hand was a different story.  I surprised myself last year by not being horrible, and out team overall was really good this year!

The one thing I have to mention (so I remember it one day too) about this summer is how stinking HOT is was.  We had a drought for a few months, and it was the hottest summer on record in over a century.  So everything was brown, and everyone was sweaty.  I kind of got used to it after a while, but the day we played kickball was just brutal.  So to say the least, I don't exactly look like a beauty queen in these photos!  Regardless, heat and all, it has been a great summer.

*Remember that you can click on photos to enlarge them.
Getting ready to pass out gold medals to the Achievement Center kids after their 100 yard dash.
My WONDERFUL family and friends at the Most Excellent Race for the Achievement Centers for Children!

Progressive Field with the Achievement Center kids for their "Up To Bat" camp experience.


This little guy was my favorite- such an amazing little dude!


Corporate Challenge bowling team!

Don't let this picture fool you- I was not good.

Corporate Challenge kickball team at the Metro Parks

The hottest day of my life.  Ever.

At least we had some cold beers for after.  I think I drank 10 bottles of water first though!
Tug of War that I didn't participate in, but rooted on from the sidelines


Cleveland Corporate Challenge final day events- Majestic Steel FIRST PLACE in our division!


No comments:

Post a Comment